Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Club Dumas

I was disappointed in this book. It started out slowly, but there was enough intrigue to keep me reading. The 2nd half of the book was more interesting, as more events happened to bring us to the end. But that was the problem - the end. [WARNING: SPOILER AHEAD!]

The end was a cheat. Turns out the 2 big mysteries we were following the entire book, which were implied to be interlinked somehow (which was the 'big' mystery), were not related at all!! There really wasn't a mystery! There was just a group of Dumas fanatics and a guy who wanted to become the anti-Christ (and his motivations were never very clear). It was just so disappointing - I was looking forward to some clever intertwining of the 2 stories, but there was none. I felt cheated.

While the main character was interesting, many others were not - and were flatly drawn. However, the character I liked the most was the mysterious girl "with the green eyes". Who/what is she? Is she a fallen angel? A tool of Satan? I would love to have a book just about her.

So, while the book was mildly entertaining and somewhat educational, I can't recommend it strongly, because of the poor ending.

No comments: